On behalf of the Departments of Anesthesia of McGill University, Queen's University, University of Ottawa and the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, we are pleased to invite you to the annual Lower & Upper Canada Anesthesia Symposium (LUCAS). This is a joint conference sponsored by four leading Canadian anesthesia departments. Our goal is to produce a comprehensive, high calibre learning experience for academic anesthesiologists, community anesthesiologists, and related health-care professionals.
Planning for the 2021 conference is underway. The program will be held in Montreal February 5-7, 2021. We will continue our close collaboration with our colleagues at PACT (Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials group) and the ACUDA (Association of Canadian University Departments of Anesthesia) Chairs, who will be hosting their annual winter meetings at LUCAS.
We look forward to seeing you there!
The fourth edition of LUCAS was held on the weekend of January 31-February 2, 2020, at the Westin Hotel right on the historic Rideau Canal in downtown Ottawa.
We would like to thank all the participants, faculty and sponsors for making the 2020 conference a resounding success. It was an excellent educational and networking experience for over 300 professionals.
Highlights of LUCAS 2020 included:
- Pre-conference hands-on workshops in Regional Anesthesia & POCUS
- A very engaging pre-conference PACT meeting attended by 60 leading anesthesiology researchers from across Canada.
- Combination of plenary sessions, small group workshops and discussion sessions, touching on a wide range of anesthesia topics including peri-operative medicine, general anesthesia practice and sub-specialty anesthesia
- Keynote J Earl Wynands Lecture on Dogmas in Obstetric Anesthesia: The Fine Balance Between Common Sense, Evidence, Habit and Fear by Dr. Jose Carvalho
- How to give a memorable presentation by Drs. Sarah McIsaac & Rob Ohle
- Clinical Peals panel presentations on Obstetric, Thoracic and Perioperative Anesthesia
- Leadership in Anesthesia: From the Operating Room to the Board Room by Dr. Jack Kitts, OC
- Dr. Laura Duggan returned to share her insights on In-Flight Emergencies and the application of legal closed claim cases to everyday practice
- Dr. Beverly Orser described postoperative Neuro-Cognitive deficits and the role of academic anesthesia departments on supporting clinical care in rural and remote environments
- Dr. David Juurlink described the adverse of effects of opioids that we sometimes overlook and along with Dr. Claudia Gomez reviewed the evidence for opioid alternatives in acute pain
- Dr. Stephan Malherbe shared his insights on the environmental impacts of anesthesia and described best practices for total intravenous anesthesia
- Dr. Philippe Richebé described the clinical implications of persistent postsurgical pain and opioid hyperalgesia
- Drs. De Tran & Murray Yazer described the pearls of regional anesthesia
- Dr. Melanie Jaeger reviewed the impact of anesthesia technique on cancer outcomes
- Dr. Janet Van Vlymen updated the implications of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Dr. Valeria McLeod reviewed perioperative anaphylaxis
- Dr. Heather O’Reilly shared some pearls of pediatric anesthesia
- Dr. Saroo Sharda hosted a memorable, thought provoking session for all those that attended her Narrative Medicine workshop
- The consistently popular Resident Grand Rounds Competition was again the conference highlight. Dr. Alana Poon from uOttawa won with her moving talk Perioperative Care of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples in Canada
Dr. Paul Wieczorek
Co-Chair from McGill University, Department of Anesthesia
Dr. Glenio Mizubuti, Dr. Tarit Saha & Dr. Joy Hataley
Co-Chair from Queen's University, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Dr. Josh Robert & Dr. Jason McVicar
Co-Chair from University of Ottawa, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
Dr. José de Wit
Co-Chair from Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care